About the Organization: San Francisco City Guides is a sponsored program of the San Francisco Public Library and project of the Tides Center. Since 1978, San Francisco City Guides has been conducting free walking tours that spotlight San Francisco history, architecture, legend and lore. The organization’s mission is to preserve and perpetuate the history and folklore of San Francisco and to celebrate its rich cultural diversity. Over 300 volunteers lead our walking tours to over 30,000 local residents and visitors each year. For more information about us, visit http://www.sfcityguides.org
About the Internship:
- Assist the Program Manager in the day-to-day operations of San Francisco City Guides.
- Along with office staff, recruit, interview and coordinate annual new guide volunteer training.
- Assist with the coordination of private group tours.
- Organize marketing materials and volunteers staff for the Annual SF History Expo.
- Answer and direct phone calls.
- Organize and input tour data.
- Respond to email inquiries from walkers and volunteers.
- File and organize paperwork.
- Support bookkeeping.
- Assist with various events for our volunteers.
- Attend various committee meetings (if desired).
-Saturday Training Sessions are essential to becoming the best City Guide you can be. Therefore applicants must be able to attend all 7 training sessions.
-All guides will be required after graduating from the class to pledge a minimum of 12 tours given within their first year.
-Attend a minimum 6 of City Guides tours during the training process (3 before training begins, 3 during the training period)
-Complete and pass a mid-term and final
-Ability and desire to share preserve and perpetuate the history and folklore of San Francisco while celebrating our rich history of cultural diversity with all our walkers.
-Begin assigned tour within 3 months after the end of training (unless otherwise authorized by the office)