Where: UC Berkeley – Berkeley, CA
What: As lead of the Doe Library’s reference team, train librarians and staff on reference desk policies and procedures, develop and maintain documentation; manage, recruit when needed, and schedule the reference services: desk, e-reference, Question point, Research Advisory Service. Coordinate publicity and marketing of reference services. Serve on the various reference services to provide high level information and research support to students, faculty and independent scholars. Serve as Berkeley’s representative to the UC-wide cooperative Question point chat reference steering committee and lead Berkeley’s chat reference team, including gathering annual statistics for Library-wide reporting purposes. Works with the Head of Instruction Services Division to design and evolve the vision of the Doe reference service program, with the Instruction Services Operations Manager to maintain equipment, supplies, and facilities for Doe reference services, and with the Reference Librarian who selects and manages the Doe reference collection.
Required Skills of Note:
- Bachelor’s degree in related area and/or equivalent experience or training.
- Experience answering complex reference questions from a wide variety of social science and humanities disciplines using the full array of sources, including specialized databases such as MLA, Web of Science, LexisNexis, PsycInfo, etc.
- Familiarity with a complex array of bibliographic tools, print and online, including Oskicat, Melyvl, WorldCat.
- Extensive experience helping researchers use and navigate US and international government documents.
- Expertise in providing chat reference using the Questionpoint platform.
- Experience with training and scheduling for a service point open 40+ hours per week.
- Experience providing public service to a diverse clientele in a large academic research library that is open to the public.
- Knowledge of campus wide Library resources in order to make knowledgeable referrals
Job Posted: 5/19/2017
First Review Deadline: 6/01/2017