Where: UC Berkeley – Berkeley, CA
Responsible for the day-to-day supervision of the Lending Unit.
- Assigns daily tasks to the staff and student library employees (SLEs).
- Prioritizes work in order to ensure that the unit runs at maximum efficiency.
- Ensures that UCB library assets are retuned by borrowers in accordance with ILL protocols.
- Ensures that overdue items are pursued, and that bills for damaged and lost items are issued and paid.
- Communicates with borrowing institutions to resolve operational problems.
- Supervises the department’s Shipping Coordinator, and ensures that all shipping is carried out in accordance with department expectations.
- Works with the Shipping Coordinator to resolve significant shipping problems.
- Supervises the Google Project expediter and SLEs, and provides general oversight of the retrieval operation, ensuring that service goals are met.
- Interviews, hires, and trains SLEs. Sets work schedules of SLEs to ensure sufficient staffing for all of the department’s units.
- Sets performance expectations for the Library Assistant(s) and students, and establishes department guidelines and policies for the student employees.
- Ensures that student employees are cross-trained, in order to be able to fill staffing gaps as they arise.
- Reconciles student employees’ shift times in the Library’s time-keeping system.
- Addresses performance issues and takes corrective or disciplinary action, as appropriate.
- Serves as a resource for the Unit Head, providing statistical data and operational insight.
- Staffs the Interlibrary Borrowing service desk approximately two hours per week.
Required Skills of Note:
- Demonstrated supervisory or managerial skills, and the ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrated high-level problem-solving, decision-making, and leadership skills.
- Knowledge of interlibrary borrowing, lending, and/or document delivery services in an academic or public library setting
- Demonstrated commitment to and investment in public service
- Professional knowledge of CLIO, ILLiad, OCLC WorldShare ILL, or other Resource Sharing software
- Demonstrated knowledge of Millennium, Sierra or other integrated library systems, library catalogs and bibliographic searching tools
- Strong, proven analytical and organizational skills; showing resilience and flexibility in an ever-changing, fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with a diverse staff and campus community, and foster inclusivity among student staff
Job Posted: 6/10/2017
First Review Deadline: 6/23/2017