Where: UC Berkeley- Ethnic Studies Library, Ca
What: The Ethnic Studies Library is recruiting for a 50% FTE Library Professional 4 to serve as Archivist in a career position. Reporting to the Head Librarian, the Archivist will accession and process archival materials, including born-digital and digitized items; assess multiple complex collections; prioritize collections to be processed in consultation with Librarians; determine long-term and short-term work plans, arrangement, description, and housing needs. Will train and supervise student staff. On grant-funded projects will assist Librarians in writing grant applications, participate in hiring professional and student employees, supervise and train such project employees, create timelines and work plans for processing, assist in monitoring budgets, and provide projections for staffing and supplies costs. In addition, will create finding aids according to national standards; will determine preservation needs for archival collections, select and order appropriate tools and supplies, and meet with conservation experts for complex or unusual problems. Will perform full original cataloging for complex archive collections. Furthermore, will design and set up exhibits on the walls of the library to fulfill educational and promotional functions of the archives collections.
Required Skills of Note:
- Experience processing analog and digital archival materials.
- Experience working on a team using a digital asset management system.
- Experience in archival description and authoring of Encoded Archival Description (EAD) finding aids.
- Familiarity with Describing Archives: A Content Standard (DACS).
- Experience using ArchivesSpace, Archivists’ Toolkit or similar archival data management system.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
Job Posted: 8/17/2017
First Review Deadline: 8/31/2017